Saturday, November 5, 2011

Well, I must admit that I have been on quite a few nice vacations since having met and married my husband, Randy.  We've been together since 2004, so it's only been a few short years.  In those few short years we have traveled more than I had in my entire life.  But, far and away I believe my favorite vacation was to Las Vegas in 2008.  Yeah, yeah, I know, who wouldn't love Las Vegas, right?  Well, I for one like a few things about Las Vegas, the town itself, mainly Fremont Street and the light show at night.  I'm not a big gambler, nor am I big drinker and I must admit that the time difference really messes me up.  But, each time we have gone to Las Vegas, we've managed to get some side excursions in and those are the best!  You see, when we go to Las Vegas, it is on business, but we always add extra days to the trip for some sight seeing! 

In December 2008, we decided to just "explore" the areas around Las Vegas.  We traveled way out on the Extraterrestrial Highway in search of "aliens" and Area 51. 



Unfortunately, this was the only Alien we saw:




And, while we did find the outer boundry of Area 51, we were NOT allowed to take any pictures of the fence and the camera that was "watching" us.  Yep, it's that big of a secret!  Nothing to be seen but a guard house, with one way windows and the motion activated camera, not to mention the Government truck that sped out at us, before we even reached the point where we could see the gate, to hopefully scare us off.  Not us, I tell you!  We'd traveled too many hours to see that gate!  lol  I will tell you that the people who live in the town that sits right outside of that gate have a great sense of humor as evidenced by the Alien "junque" in their yards and around their businesses. 





During our travels we also went to a ghost town or two.  The main one was Rhyolite near Death Valley.


We also enjoyed visiting an abandoned Silver Mine:
And the General Store that was part of the abandoned silver mine that had been restored:
The family who had bought and restored most of this property were amazing people and welcomed everyone like they were family!  We had such fun!  


Along the way we saw free range cattle, not fenced in, alive and dead.  Can't say I've ever seen a cow that has been hit by a vehicle until then!  The rivers in Nevada are the most gorgeous blue and we even managed to find, out in the middle of no where, a beautiful lake sitting in the desert.  I can't begin to even show you the 172 pictures that I took!  I love the plants in the desert, so took some pictures of that.  We even drove into California (a first for me and Randy) into Death Valley!  We had a lot of time to just enjoy being with each other and going places we have never been before and may not ever get to go to again! 

Yes, it was my most favorite vacation! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates